Neil Schneider wrote:
> Randall Shimizu wrote:
>> Has anyone given much thought to a informal audit showing the
>> expenditures.
>
> We have to file a tax return annually or bi-annually. What kind of
> "informal audit" are you suggesting? If we create onerous auditing,
> those who volunteer to take care of various functions that raise money
> for KPLUG will refuse, and there will soon be no treasury and the
> group may fall apart  because of the exodus of those volunteers. The
> money that's donated comes from all of us. I don't think it's enough
> money that someone would be tempted to embezzle.
>
> Having said all that, perhaps a monthly reporting of what was taken in
> and  spent, would be in order. Posting it to this list should be
> sufficient notice.
>
>> I would like to see a a formal procedure for deciding
>> how money is spent.
>
> What kind of "formal procedure" would you like to see? Getting a
> consensus on anything from the membership of KPLUG is nearly
> impossible. I generally ask for feedback, similar to the discussion
> about a new server on this list, then make a decision, based upon the
> feedback. In the past this seemed to work fine. Have you an objection
> to this method?
>
>> Perhaps it might be good to have a poll for all
>> unnecessary expenditures..
>
> All expenditures are unnecessary. Based upon a long history of KPLUG
> if we need to consult with the membership every time we decide to
> spend money, our treasury will grow, but we will never buy anything.
> Whenever the treasury gets large, the steering committee gets together
> and figures out how to spend it down. It might be a "virtual" meeting
> on the list here, or a real meeting. All expenditures are to benefit
> the membership, not any individual.

In more words..

1. Disclosure, responsibility, auditability, no taxation without
representation (ok, I'm getting carried away [soon]) -- those are all
good targets. We should aim for them.

2. Rules, regulations, rigidity -- these cause difficulties in informal
volunteer-run organizations. We should try to avoid them as much as
possible. Bear in mind that this does not preclude progress toward the
goals of item 1.

3. In my judgement, KPLUG's history has been extremely amicable,
cooperative and collaborative (especially with respect to money things).
The general membership, the common core of contributors to various
aspects of group activities including policy/decision making, and the
officers have virtually _all_ impressed me as quite honorable and
admirable in character and behavior! I am proud to count KPLUG people
among my most trusted friends. Thanks to everyone, and especially the
present and past officers. Joy to the world! (sorry, <snif> got carried
away again).

4. I believe the "steering committee" idea has been and is generally
working well. I believe everyone should be encouraged to participate. I
further believe no one should be disheartened when their pro's & con's
are outvoted by opposite arguments.

Sincerely,
..jim

--