James G. Sack (jim) wrote:
There was talk about a picnic on Sunday, July 20, but it kinda fell
quiet for a while, and it didn't even get mentioned/remembered at the
last meeting.

I'm thinking that we may have passed by the opportunity to drum up
interest among the general membership, so maybe we ought to rethink it
-- for (say) August?

Tracy will be gone until Aug 18, so I suppose he would prefer something
after that date.

(I see Rich Ernst has his ears on.)
Hey Rich-  You have some expertise in things picniclike, What's your advice?

Regards,
..jim

Just to repeat my preferences and experience, I go for the simple. Just find a place, then name the date, time, how to recognize where we're at, and those who can come will come.

BYOE, Bring your own everything, chairs, umbrellas, blankets, food, snacks, drinks, coolers, games, frisbees, tiki torches.

I love being near the water, plenty of places near Mission Bay to do so. If we can find/get/hold a fire ring, I'll bring wood too, pyromaniac that I am. (That might even bring out Barry!)

Assuming I'm in town (generally yes except last week of July, 24th thru 8/2), I'll be happy to bring my propane grill so we can easily fire it up as/when needed by folks.

I generally just bring good hot dogs from Costco, buns, fixin's, chips and drinks with plenty to share for those who don't want to bring a ton of stuff.

Now, how do we get/share wireless internet at the beach, can you share a Verizon/phone connected setup? (No, I don't have a wireless hookup outside the house... :(

Aside from parking is horrible, now that there's no drinking at the ocean, the ocean side of the beach somewhere might even might be doable. But I know there are other's who'd really like their beer at the picnic/beach/party so no problem either way.

If I'm out and about, I'll scout a few areas I've had parties in the past and see how they look during the day and/or evenings.

Should thie be cross posted to the general/newbie lists?

Rich

--
KPLUG-Steer@kernel-panic.org