Joe said,

"I remember thinking that I was going to need power to get out of the
decent I was in."

Obviously that was the wrong thought to have just then.  You had suddenly
become a glider.  Glider pilots don't think about needing power.

It appears from the open, flat spaces around the very localized pile of
splinters, that you stalled the plane and augered in.  You are a really
lucky KR pilot, but certainly not the first to have this happen.  Pilots
and passengers of regular airplanes that stall and auger in usually die.
It's thanks to the lightness and impact-absorbing characteristics of the
KR that these normally-deadly blunt force crashes are survivable.  My
opinion anyway . . . based on having seen this scenario occur many times
over the years.

Mike Stirewalt
KSEE