Larry, Valid question and valid thoughts in my mind. For whatever reason I
did it, I also lowered the cowling in the front of my KR. It slimmed the
front profile. I am now wondering how that helps or hurts cooling. But, I
can say it pretty much negates the ability to put a compufire ignition on
because the bulge would look like I glassed a coffee can to the top of the
cowling.  It's interesting how a person, me in this case can do something
and then later ask myself why I did that ? How do I say this? I am not
trying to just make more power as much as I am trying to make sure it
produces the power it should ro the power it needs and do it safely and
efficiently? I have always hated my Zenith carb. I have always questioned
the effect of low voltage spark on a magneto and how that affects power. I
know in a water cooled big bore stroker motor I built in another
application going to a high energy ignition made a major difference. So, I
have decided to revisit a lot of things because after all, it's called
experimental for a reason.
If a person put a 2180 on an actual dyno as built, will it actually produce
70 or 76 HP as claimed? Also, just because you have the power it
doesn't mean you use all of it all the time. My overzealous ideas sparked a
build of what became a 600 hp stroker motor in my 12,000 lb vintage
Airstream motorhome restoration. Do I use all that hp and torque ? NO. My
gearing and the fact that after about 65 mph I simply don't feel
comfortable going any further. But, the resulting increase in efficiency
and regearing allows the motor to actually run cooler and get better
fuel mileage then it did with less than half the HP it came with. Now it
may actually be more related to the better ignition, better cam and many
other factors but, I think the engine doesn't labor as hard as it used to
when it had less power.  Oh, I also added a wide band O2 sensor and a
digital AF sensor and tuned it to a 12 to 14 to 1 AF to insure I was
running the correct AF not only at idle as most carbs can only be set to, I
have tuning rods in the qjet that allows tuning AF at typical cruising rpm.
Of course we have that in aero carbs but not so much on a Zenith. Maybe
some do it but I dont feel safe leaving the mixture lock on a Zenith. I
have a zenith on my Onan generator and after lots of frustration and
rebuilding I got sick of it. So, that lesson makes me uncomfortable leaving
it on my KR. Also pulling the heads off and seeing them affirmed that I
will not fly behind a Zenith again. Not when there are far better and safer
options.
 I will also add a wideband O2 and digital AF guage sensor to my 2180 and
use that in conjunction with lean of peak settings to ensure I am getting
the best power and ensuring longer life in the 2180. Because like my 496
engine build, I think there are a lot of things like SDS CPI and even the
next step of SDS EMI That can now be added to a 2180 or a Corvair as well
as your 0-200 continental to bolt on far better fuel systems,
ignitions systems and add not just better power but more reliable power at
altitude and temperatures as well as safety.   A lot of what I am doing is
thinking and reaching out to you all who have stayed very active in order
to learn again and learn more as well as raise the discussion. Because some
of my thoughts may be pretty dumb or not applicable. But, maybe there are
some out there in the KR community unaware of these available newer
technologies that are now affordable to us just like how autopilot , EFIS,
glass cockpits and other things were not really affordable in the past or
even available.
There are a lot of people on here a lot smarter than me and more
experienced. But there are also some like me. We can learn from those of
you that know. I am always the student of the professors.

Jeff

Jeff