On Saturday, January 7, 2023 at 06:39:39 AM PST, G R Pickett via KRnet
<krnet@list.krnet.org> wrote:

For those who have a larger-than-VW engine, what total capacity do you think is
enough?

Your thoughts?

Griff Pickett
 KLXT*****************************************************

 Whatever size header tank you decide on, it's critical that it be removable.
You'll thank yourself a thousand times in coming years that you did not follow
the plans . . . that you have a removable tank.

Other thoughts . . .
I've learned to live with the 21½ gallons Ken Cottle saw fit to build into my
plane.  With my GP2180 w/Ellison I know I can go 500 miles no matter what the
wind is doing.  With favorable winds 700 is more the norm.  I fly 10.5 to 14.5
so one of the many advantages of flying high includes the built-in economy that
comes from flying WOT while pulling somewhere around 50% power.  The engine
likes the cool ambient air while not having to work very hard to go 149 MPH (my
averaged cruise speed over many trips).

I've wished many times that I had five more gallons.  There's times when just a
little more fuel could have saved me from having to land for refueling.    Like
Mark mentioned, I hate coming down unless it's at final destination or layover.
 So . . . to my mind 30 gallons could be considered optimal for a
VW.derivative, normally- aspirated engine.  And since you're at the building
stage, why not 35?  My greatest joy of having a KR is the ability to go places,
sometimes far away.  Even if you don't plan on long trips, it's nice to know
you have the capacity to go a thousand miles if you feel like it.

If your engine is "larger than VW", divide GPH into distance you want to fly.
That'll give you the quantity you'll want to have.  Take that number and give
yourself an extra 10-20%.   Someday you'll really, really wish you had had the
foresight to do that back when you were at the stage you're at now.

Mike StirewaltKSEE