That sounds scary.

Sent from my iPhone

On 25/02/2024, at 1:24 PM, Mark Langford <m...@n56ml.com> wrote:

My last flight in KR2 N891JF was back home from the KR Gathering at KMVN.  When I got back, I dumped the hot oil for an oil change, and the next day I adjusted the valves.  I try to do both every 25 hours.  The valve adjustment frequency seems a bit extreme, but what GPASC recommends, and with most VW heads I've had, two or three valves always needed adjustment.  I'm a bit picky about valve adjustments, because if you let an exhaust valve go too long without adjustment, it will eventually tighten up to the point that it never closes.  Once it reaches that point, it gets very hot very quickly, because it doesn't have the opportunity to dissipate its heat to the valve seat, and will stretch and break in short order.  Been there, done that, and it's no fun at all!  Having said that, I've been running Revmaster heads since John Bouyea and others have sworn by them, and guess what.....the valves really hold their adjustment pretty close.  I may find one that needs a tiny fraction of a turn on the adjuster, but often they are all still perfectly adjusted!  Joe Horvath at Revmaster says it's all about the metallurgy of the head and valve seat material, and that works for me.  Superior cooling may be another factor.

So, while I was adjusting the valves a few days after I returned from the Gathering, I noticed a weird and ominous noise coming from the engine, like something large and steel was broken or loose.  Has anybody else every heard one that sounds like this when simply rotating the engine?  I'm just looking for a data point.  I don't recall the engine ever making this noise previously, and can only believe that if I'd heard it before, I'd have definitely noticed.  Listen to the short movie at

http://www.n56ml.com/n891jf/vw/wierd_volkswagen_noise.mov     (you may have to cut and post this into your browser)

Sorry about the camera moving around a lot during the prop rotation.  One arm is connected to the other, and when rotating the prop with the right arm, the left arm moves around too!  Note that the distributor and drive gear are removed, just so I could get a better look at the brass distributor drive helical gear on the crank, which appeared secured and in one piece, and because it eliminated those two parts as a source of the problem.

--
Mark Langford
m...@n56ml.com