On 07/18/2013 05:00:42 AM, Alexander Graf wrote:
Now why is setting invalid flags a problem? If I understand Scott correctly, it can break the host if you access certain host devices with caching enabled. But to be sure I'd say we ask him directly :).

The architecture makes it illegal to mix cacheable and cache-inhibited mappings to the same physical page. Mixing W or M bits is generally bad as well. I've seen it cause machine checks, error interrupts, etc. -- not just corrupting the page in question.

-Scott