Rusty Russell wrote:
On Tuesday 19 August 2008 15:17:08 Herbert Xu wrote:
On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 10:13:55PM -0700, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
CSUM2 sounds so ugly though.  Features seem to get added and never
removed....  how about if this had a documented short lifetime (if it
really must go in)?
All we need is a simple toggle to disable checksum offload.  Every
NIC that offers receive checksum offload allows it to be disabled.
virtio shouldn't be any different.

Resetting the NIC seems a bit over the top.

Not really. We could extend the protocol, but that's currently how feature negotiation works: you can't do it while the device is live. That seemed simplest. I learnt from Xen :)

(Of course, we don't need to *disable* it, we need to *enable* it).

Checksum offload enabled could be a config flag. Then it could be toggled while the device is live. Of course, you need a feature flag for the config flag.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Cheers,
Rusty.