Avi Kivity <avi.kiv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/09/2015 07:51 PM, Nadav Amit wrote:
>> Avi Kivity <avi.kiv...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Is the issue emulating a higher MAXPHYADDR on the guest than is available
>>> on the host? I don't think there's any need to support that.
>>>
>>> Emulating a lower setting on the guest than is available on the host is, I
>>> think, desirable. Whether it would work depends on the relative priority
>>> of EPT misconfiguration exits vs. page table permission faults.
>> Thanks for the feedback.
>>
>> Guest page-table permissions faults got priority over EPT misconfiguration.
>> KVM can even be set to trap page-table permission faults, at least in VT-x.
>> Anyhow, I don’t think it is enough.
>
> Why is it not enough? If you trap a permission fault, you can inject any
> exception error code you like.

Because there is no real permission fault. In the following example, the VM
expects one (VM’s MAXPHYADDR=40), but there isn’t (Host’s MAXPHYADDR=46), so
the hypervisor cannot trap it. It can only trap all #PF, which is obviously
too intrusive.

>>  Here is an example
>>
>> My machine has MAXPHYADDR of 46. I modified kvm-unit-tests access test to
>> set pte.45 instead of pte.51, which from the VM point-of-view should cause
>> the #PF error-code indicate the reserved bits are set (just as pte.51 does).
>> Here is one error from the log:
>>
>> test pte.p pte.45 pde.p user: FAIL: error code 5 expected d
>> Dump mapping: address: 123400000000
>> ------L4: 304b007
>> ------L3: 304c007
>> ------L2: 304d001
>> ------L1: 200002000001
>
> This is with an ept misconfig programmed into that address, yes?
A reserved bit in the PTE is set - from the VM point-of-view. If there
wasn’t another cause for #PF, it would lead to EPT violation/misconfig.

>> As you can see, the #PF should have had two reasons: reserved bits, and user
>> access to supervisor only page. The error-code however does not indicate the
>> reserved-bits are set.
>>
>> Note that KVM did not trap any exit on that faulting instruction, as
>> otherwise it would try to emulate the instruction and assuming it is
>> supported (and that the #PF was not on an instruction fetch), should be able
>> to emulate the #PF correctly.
>> [ The test actually crashes soon after this error due to these reasons. ]
>>
>> Anyhow, that is the reason for me to assume that having the maximum
>> MAXPHYADDR is better.
>
> Well, that doesn't work for the reasons Paolo noted.  The guest can have a
> ivshmem device attached, and map it above a host-supported virtual address,
> and suddenly it goes slow.

I fully understand. That’s the reason I don’t have a reasonable solution.

Regards,
Nadav--