Wireshark was showing a huge amount of invalid packets (wrong checksum)
- - that was the cause of the slowdown.
Simply rebooting the host into 2.6.28.9 fixed *everything*, regardless
of whether the guests use virtio or ne2k_pci/etc.
The guests are still running 2.6.29.1, but I am not likely to try that
release again on the host anytime soon! Ouch!

Antoine