On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 08:10:28AM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Joerg Roedel wrote:

>>> Since we don't support 1GBpages in stable-0.10, this is unneeded.
>>>

>> This patch is needed to run current KVM on a hugetlbfs backed with
>> 1GB pages. Therefore I think this patch is needed. It is an improvement
>> over the /proc/meminfo parsing anyway and is not strictly related to
>> kvm kernel support for 1GB pages.
>>

> Is there any userspace support requirements for 1GB pages?

The /proc/meminfo parsing code breaks when current KVM is run with
a -mempath on a 1GB backed hugetlbfs.

> That is, if you had a 2.6.31 kernel and stable-0.10, would 1GB pages
> work (assuming this patch is backported)?

With this patch and kvm kernel support 1GB pages will work. Another
patch is needed to make it more easy to enable the pdpe1gb cpuid bit in
the guest.

Joerg

--
           | Advanced Micro Devices GmbH
 Operating | Karl-Hammerschmidt-Str. 34, 85609 Dornach bei München
 System    |
 Research  | Geschäftsführer: Thomas M. McCoy, Giuliano Meroni
 Center    | Sitz: Dornach, Gemeinde Aschheim, Landkreis München