Christoph, wasn't there a bug where the guest didn't wait for requests
Can't remember anything like that.  The "bug" was the complete lack of
cache flush infrastructure for virtio, and the lack of advertising a
volative write cache on ide.

By "complete flush infrastructure", you mean host-side and guest-side support for a new barrier command, yes?

But can't this be also implemented using QUEUE_ORDERED_DRAIN, and on the host side disabling the backing device write cache? I'm talking about cache=none, primarily.

signature is too narrow to contain.