On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:55:17AM +0800, Zhang, Yanmin wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-02-25 at 18:34 +0100, Joerg Roedel wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 04:04:28PM +0100, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> >
> > > 1) Add support to perf to allow it to monitor a KVM guest from the
> > >    host.
> >
> > This shouldn't be a big problem. The PMU of AMD Fam10 processors can be
> > configured to count only when in guest mode. Perf needs to be aware of
> > that and fetch the rip from a different place when monitoring a guest.

> The idea is we want to measure both host and guest at the same time, and
> compare all the hot functions fairly.

So you want to measure while the guest vcpu is running and the vmexit
path of that vcpu (including qemu userspace part) together? The
challenge here is to find out if a performance event originated in guest
mode or in host mode.
But we can check for that in the nmi-protected part of the vmexit path.

        Joerg