On 03/15/2010 07:43 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 06:43:06PM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
I knew someone would do this...

This really gets down to your definition of "safe" behaviour.  As it
stands, if you suffer a power outage, it may lead to guest corruption.

While we are correct in advertising a write-cache, write-caches are
volatile and should a drive lose power, it could lead to data
corruption.  Enterprise disks tend to have battery backed write caches
to prevent this.

In the set up you're emulating, the host is acting as a giant write
cache.  Should your host fail, you can get data corruption.

cache=writethrough provides a much stronger data guarantee.  Even in the
event of a host failure, data integrity will be preserved.
Actually cache=writeback is as safe as any normal host is with a
volatile disk cache, except that in this case the disk cache is
actually a lot larger.  With a properly implemented filesystem this
will never cause corruption.

Metadata corruption, not necessarily corruption of data stored in a file.

   You will lose recent updates after
the last sync/fsync/etc up to the size of the cache, but filesystem
metadata should never be corrupted, and data that has been forced to
disk using fsync/O_SYNC should never be lost either.

Not all software uses fsync as much as they should. And often times, it's for good reason (like ext3). This is mitigated by the fact that there's usually a short window of time before metadata is flushed to disk. Adding another layer increases that delay.

IIUC, an O_DIRECT write using cache=writeback is not actually on the spindle when the write() completes. Rather, an explicit fsync() would be required. That will cause data corruption in many applications (like databases) regardless of whether the fs gets metadata corruption.

You could argue that the software should disable writeback caching on the virtual disk, but we don't currently support that so even if the application did, it's not going to help.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

   If it is that's
a bug somewhere in the stack, but in my powerfail testing we never did
so using xfs or ext3/4 after I fixed up the fsync code in the latter
two.