Hey guys,

not sure if this is a bug or a feature request. It's just something we've noticed and are having problems with.

We're using the qemu-kvm lenny-backports package on Debian 5.0.5.

When doing a live migration from the virsh shell, the server in question becomes unreachable because the ARP cache on our switches still thinks the server is on another port.

As soon as the server sends out some traffic, such as a ping, the ARP cache get's updated as expected. If it does nothing, the server remains unreachable until the ARP cache expires on the switches. (in our case 4 hours)

We would like to be able to do live migration for customer machines on which we have no access, so we really need KVM to send out an ARP announcement/gratuitous ARP when doing a live migration.

Could anyone tell me if this is a bug in KVM, libvirt, or the debian qemu-kvm package? (or if I'm doing something wrong? :-) )

I've been tcpdumping the bridged network interfaces on the hosts while doing the migrate, and couldn't see any ARP broadcasts.

Debian 5.0.5
Kernel: 2.6.32-bpo.3-amd64
qemu-kvm                      0.12.4+dfsg-1~bpo50+2
libvirt0                      0.7.6-1~bpo50+1

migrate --live testserver qemu+ssh://192.168.1.3/system

Thanks in advance,

Nils