On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Daniel Bareiro <daniel-lis...@gmx.net> wrote:
> I have some installations with Debian GNU/Linux Etch I'm migrating to
> KVM. I just installed a kernel 2.6.26 from backports to use Virtio.
>
> But when I try to boot the operating system, it can not find the vd*
> device to mount the root filesystem. I made sure to change the
> /etc/fstab using partitions vd* and using in the 'root' GRUB parameter
> the vd corresponding partition. Just in case it were not loading the
> module, I added 'virtioi-blk' in /etc/modules, but I keep getting the
> same problem.
>
> What could be the problem?

1. Check that your VM has the virtio PCI adapters present.  You can do
this by running lspci from a livecd/installer or grep 1af4
/proc/bus/pci/devices.  Look for PCI adapters with vendor ID 1af4 (Red
Hat).
2. Check that the virtio kernel modules are loaded by your initramfs.
Either check the kernel messages as it boots for virtio-pci or vd*
virtio-pci /proc/bus/pci/devices.
3. Did you really mean 'virtoi-blk' in /etc/modules?  You can gunzip
and cpio extract the initramfs to check that virtio, virtio_pci,
virtio_ring, virtio_blk are present.

Stefan