I can essentially test this at will, so feel free to ask for
debugging steps.

My host and VMs are all Fedora 15.

Every time I run tcpdump on a VM, it hangs for a while.  It uses all
available CPU, "virsh list" hangs trying to show it, and I can't
shut it down except by killing the qemu-kvm process.

After a few minutes, which amount of time seems to be proportionate
to how long it's been since I last ran tcpdump (the longer it's
been, the longer I have to wait) everything goes back to normal if I
don't kill the VM.

Any idea what's going on there?

-Robin