On 06/03/2012 04:01 PM, Johannes Bauer wrote:
> On 03.06.2012 14:33, Avi Kivity wrote:
>
>>> when trying to install Windows7 in a qemu-kvm 1.0.1 installation on
>>> Gentoo on my host running
>>
>> Is that a 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7?
>
> 64 bit. But I've also (in despair) tried installing 32 Bit Windows 7,
> with the exact same effect.
>
>>> EAX=00000010 EBX=00000080 ECX=00000000 EDX=00000080
>>> ESI=0025da4a EDI=0007da4a EBP=00001f20 ESP=00000200
>>> EIP=0000009b EFL=00000002 [-------] CPL=3 II=0 A20=1 SMM=0 HLT=0
>>> ES =0020 00000200 0000ffff 00009300
>>> CS =b000 002b0000 0000ffff 0000f300
>>
>> Pre-unrestricted mode hosts require cs.selector (first number) * 16 ==
>> cs.base (second number).  This clearly isn't the case here.

Gleb points out that cs.base == gdt.base, which doesn't make a lot of
sense.  So some corruption has happened earlier.  Please follow
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Tracing and post the last few thousand
lines somewhere.  Trace a uniprocessor guest if the problem reproduces
that way.

> I've checked with vmxcap and my PC indeed does not support unrestricted
> mode. My Laptop (on which the identical image works perfectly) does.
>
>> # rmmod kvm_intel
>> # modprobe kvm_intel emulate_invalid_guest_state=1
>>
>> Warning: experimental code.
>
> Tried it out -- I don't get the error anymore, but qemu just hangs on
> boot with 100% CPU. :-(

Not too surprising, this hasn't been tested in quite a while.

>>> Or is
>>> it impossible to run Windows 7 with kvm on a Core Quad (which possibly
>>> doesn't support "Unrestricted Guest")?
>>
>> It should be possible.  Did you do anything special with the guest
>> (install any software?) before rebooting?  Is this repeatable?
>
> Nothing at all, just a standard installation. Did not even get to the
> point where I *could* install software (it reboots during the
> installation and that's where it doesn't come up anymore).
>
> I even tried to completing the installation on my laptop (which works),
> then copy the image back on my desktop PC: Same error.

That should help the tracing effort.

> Any hints on how I could debug the hang with the emulation of invalid
> guest state? Or is there a more recent version (git?) than a 3.3.7
> kernel that I should try out?

3.3.7 should definitely work.  Let's see what the traces tell us.