----- Original Message -----
From: "Avi Kivity" <a...@redhat.com>
To: "Alex Jia" <a...@redhat.com>
Cc: "Andrew Holway" <a.hol...@syseleven.de>, kvm@vger.kernel.org
Sent: Monday, September 3, 2012 9:27:08 PM
Subject: Re: [libvirt-users] vm pxe fail

On 08/31/2012 05:37 PM, Alex Jia wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
> Great, BTW, in fact, you may pxe boot via VF of Intel82576, however,
> Intel82576 SR-IOV network adapters
> don't provide a ROM BIOS for the cards virtual functions (VF), but an image
> of such a ROM is available,
> and with this ROM visible to the guest, it can PXE boot.
>
> In libvirt's xml, you need to configure guest XML like this:
>
>           <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
>             <source>
>               <address bus='XX' slot='XX' function='XX'/>
>             </source>
>             <boot order='1'/>
>            <rom bar='on' file='/xxxx/ipxe-808610ca.rom'/>
>           </hostdev>
>
> You need to build a ipxe-808610ca.rom by yourself, if you're interested in
> this,
> please refer to http://ipxe.org/.

Is there a way to automate this?  Perhaps a database matching PCI IDs
and ipxe .roms, which qemu could consult?

   Hi Avi,
   Good question, I haven't try this via qemu yet, from libvirt POV, basically,
we may filter and parse 'lspci'
   or 'virsh nodedev-list --tree' output to get a bus, slot and function number
then add them into above guest
   XML, WRT above 'ipxe-808610ca.rom' file, we may directly 'git clone
git://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git' then compile
   it and generate a .rom file such as 82576.rom or use a vendor+product id as
a rom name if you like.

   Regards,
   Alex