On 10/20/2013 4:04 AM, Sahid Ferdjaoui wrote:
Hi all,

I'm working on create a large number of tcp connections on a guest;
The environment is on OpenStack:

Host (dedicated compute node):
   OS/Kernel: Ubuntu/3.2
   Cpus: 24
   Mems: 128GB

Guest (alone on the Host):
   OS/Kernel: Ubuntu/3.2
   Cpus: 4
   Mems: 32GB

Currently a guest can handle about 700 000 established connections, the cpus
are not loaded and 12giga of memory are used.
I'm working to understand why I can go up...

On my host, after several tests with different versions of openvswitch and with
linux bridge,
It look like the process vhost_net is the only process loaded to 100% and it
seems vhost_net cannot use more than 1 cpu.

I would like to get more informations about vhost_net and if there is a
solution to configure it to use more than 1 cpu?

Not sure if it is relevant in your case, but the newly-released Open vSwitch 2.0 is now multi-threaded:

http://openvswitch.org/releases/NEWS-2.0.0

@martin_casado said "This is a big deal. Multi-threading provides huge performance benefits on flow setup"

https://twitter.com/martin_casado/status/390384030488616960

If you give it a try, let us know.