Hi :)
Thanks :)  So it's something that doesn't happen in English so there isn't
really a good name for it?  So in other languages it might be easier to shorten
it to something that makes more sense to people?

Your original explanation makes a lot of sense;
"diacritic marks that mark tone in tonal languages, so there's "squiggles" that
go above or beside another letter to indicate if it's a high rising tone, a low
rising tone, a mid level tone, and so on."
I know exactly what you mean by that because i have seen such marks in many
other languages.  The technically correct and more official line
"Linguistic symbols for marking tone in tone languages that modify another
letter (usually a vowel)"
still leaves the meaning unclear.  In the 1st line, even though i don't know
what "diacritic" means you explain that well by using the word "squiggles"
which is much friendlier.  So, i feel i learned something even though the 1st
description is still quite short even if it's not short enough.

Thanks and regards from
Tom :)