On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 12:09 PM, Sveinn í Felli <s...@fellsnet.is> wrote:
> Þann mið 30.ágú 2017 09:14, skrifaði Martin Srebotnjak:
>>
>> So, these changes will make 100+ l10n teams to re-translate/check those
>> touched strings, yes?
>

> Well, these have been brewing for some time; think we have to live with
> that. But of course we should make noise if there is a bunch of such
> 'cosmetic' modifications, all at once.
> Meanwhile, we could think seriously about why the help/docs markup is so
> complex (instead of being more CSS-like?) and why there's so little
> separation of content and formatting - and what can be done???

I would also add why strings have so many tags when the only
translatable content is outside of the tags or in a single place in
the string, like:

<image src="cmd/sc_compilebasic.png" id="img_id3147576"><alt
id="alt_id3147576">Icon</alt></image>

We have tons of strings like this where the only translatable content
is "Icon". Luckily the translation for my language is quite similar so
with a keystroke and two mouse clicks I can quickly translate those,
but having to do it more than a hundred times is quite annoying since
all these could be just simplified to something like:

<placeholder>Icon</placeholder>

Or even better just:

Icon

Even if it is a massive effort and having in mind that it will require
retranslating thousands of strings I fully support simplifying the
strings using placeholders and removing any styling from the string if
possible. This should:

- reduce the number of strings,
- shorten the strings thus,
  - making it easier to translate,
  - making it faster to translate,
- reduce the possibility of typing mistakes,
- allow to increase use of translation memory.

IMHO these are big upsides making it worth the change.

Regards