Russ Budd wrote:

The ipsec tunnel is established between the two machines, but I get
an "Error 678 The remote computer did not respond" at the PC.

It seems the replies from l2tpd do not reach the XP client. Could you check with tcpdump on eth0/lo to see where these are going? Perhaps rp_filter was set to 1, but that can't be because recent versions of Openswan disable rp_filter automatically.

Also check the troubleshooting section at:
http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/networking/freeswan-l2tp.html#Troubleshooting

Error 678 does not really ring a bell with me (the MS info on this
error is hopeless). Perhaps enabling PPP logging on the XP machine
would help.

[lns default]
ip range = 206.181.252.108-206.181.252.109
local ip = 206.181.252.110

Hm, these look like public IP addresses. I don't know the details of your setup but are you sure this is what you want?

Jacco
--
Jacco de Leeuw                         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]