FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT: Thandisizwe Chimurenga, 213-321-0575

FAMILY MEMBERS, CONCERNED CITIZENS DEMAND AN END TO TORTURE IN CALIFORNIA’S
PRISONS

Monday, July 18 · 9:00am - 5:00pm
Ronald Reagan State Building
3rd and Spring Sts., Los Angeles, CA

Delegation to meet with Gov. Jerry Brown, Press Conference @ 11 a.m.

Family members and concerned citizens will convene on Monday, July 18, 2011, at
the Ronald Reagan State Office Building, 3rd and Spring Sts., from 9 a.m to 5
p.m.  The all-day vigil will bring attention to the more than 6,000 prisoners
across the state who have participated in an indefinite hunger strike since
July 1, especially those in the Pelican Bay and Corcoran Security Housing Units
facing severe medical consequences. There is also a 7:00 PM vigil planned at
the County Jail, 441 Bauchet Street, L.A.

The prisoners are on strike to bring much-needed attention to the conditions of
their confinement, conditions that many consider torture. A delegation
representing family members of the striking prisoners will also go to CA
Governor Jerry Brown’s office at 11 a.m. They demand that the Governor order
the CA Dept of Corrections to meet the strikers’ demands to end inhumane
treatment in the state’s Security Housing Units (SHUs).

U.S. and international human rights organizations have condemned SHUs as having
cruel, inhumane, and torturous conditions. CA SHU prisoners are kept in
windowless, 6X10-foot cells, 23½ hours a day, for years on end. The CDCR
operates four SHUs in its system at Corcoran, Ca. Correctional Institution,
Valley State Prison for Women and Pelican Bay.

The demands of the prisoners, many of whom are in now in medical crisis since
going without food or water since July 1, are:
1. End Group Punishment & Administrative Abuse;
2. Abolish the Debriefing Policy, and Modify Active/Inactive Gang Status
Criteria
3. Comply with the US Commission on Safety and Abuse in America’s Prisons
2006 Recommendations Regarding an End to Long-Term Solitary Confinement
4. Provide Adequate and Nutritious Food
5. Expand and Provide Constructive Programming and Privileges for Indefinite
SHU Status Inmates.

Prisoners at the Pelican Bay State Prison in Crescent City, CA initiated the
hunger strike on July 1, but have since been joined by prisoners at Corcoran,
Tehachapi, Calipatria and others. The prisoners have also stated that they are
willing to give up their lives unless their demands are met. Press coverage of
this significant development and humanitarian crisis has been inadequate up to
this point.

TODAY!!!

12:00PM-3:00PM

PROTEST at San Bernardino County Central Detention Center (CDC)

630 East Rialto Avenue

San Bernardino, California 92415

According to Prisoner Solidarity Blog:

“This afternoon leaders of the Pelican Bay hunger strike unanimously rejected
a proposal from the CDCR to end the strike. In response to the prisoners’
five, straightforward demands, the CDCR distributed a vaguely worded document
stating that it would “effect a comprehensive assessment of its existing
policy and  procedure” about the secure housing units (SHUs). The document
gave no indication if any changes would be made at all Despite the promises
from the federal Receiver overseeing the CDCR, no one has received salt tablets
or vitamins hundreds of prisoners at Pelican Bay remain on strike, with
thousands more participating throughout the CA’s 33 prisons.”

Go here to read the whole article:
http://prisonerhungerstrikesolidarity.wordpress.com/2011/07/16/pelican-bay-hunger-strikers-reject-proposal-the-strike-continues/

These are updates we have from letters, posts, facebook messages,
conversations, emails.

Tehachapi

A mother went to go visit her son in the SHU and was told that all the men on B
yard are not eating, except for one who is a diabetic. Her son had lost about
20 lbs. and she reported that he looked extremely skinny, his skinned looked
sucked in and eyes really big. She said he came out to visit with this very
ugly dirty suit and believes they are not allowing them to do laundry. He was
told about the protest that will be taking place tomorrow in San Bernardino and
broke down crying. He thanked everyone who has been involved in organizing
efforts. He said it is becoming very challenging but he is going to hold on and
keep going strong. He said they had heard almost nothing about the strike. They
had only managed to get ahold of one article, but it had no mention that
Tehachapi was also on hunger strike and they have been going since July 1st. He
urged to bring awareness to the fact that they are still on hunger strike and
will continue to be.

Donovan

"I received a letter from my man today letting me know the inmates in the hole
at Donovan are participating in the hunger strike .... there is absolutely no
news coverage in the San Diego area. All I know is he's telling me the men are
eating canteen and that's it. I was under the impression they weren't eating at
all... he said he's sent me numerous letters however I've only gotten two prior
ones telling me how starving he is.... he's lost 20lbs so far. Its hard to find
out any accurate information he did say that he finally received mail from the
beginning of July. I've called numerous times to get some sort of information,
but supposedly nobody knows anything. Please fill me in if you find out any
information. I'm not sure how long they have been eating canteen.... its a
total upside down mess there. I have a friend who emailed all the local news
channels yet nothing has been gone public. He said he wrote me a letter
regarding what's going on in there but of course I never got it ..

I don't think anyone knows which different prisons still have strikers, that's
why we're trying to get a list together. Reports keep coming in from different
places, and cdcr is keeping a tight lid on inmates trying to get the word out
to their loved ones. If I had to guess, I would say there are still THOUSANDS
participating... not hundreds!”

PBSP SHU-C Corridor

about 50 inmates on the C corridor that are participating in this hunger
strike. Soon you may not hear from the men but BE DILIGENT in making sure
they're okay. If your incarcerated loved one has an attorney try to get in
contact with them to see if they can get direct answers regarding what is
really going on inside.

“Stood outside gates of Pelican Bay today with 2 others and a banner in
support of hunger strikers while visitors came and went. Camping with Julie
(see blog), who's been here for 3+ weeks...plenty of room for more support up
here!”

Julie’s blog: http://julie-tackett.blogspot.com/

Desert View Modified Community Correctional Facility

“I went to visit my husband along with my sister in law and we were denied a
visit because he is in the hole on a disciplinary violation. After looking into
it further. I can see that they are retaliating against him for participating
in the hunger strike. He wrote to me and I received the letter a few minutes
ago telling me that there was a hunger strike that went on for 36 hours after
that he had to give in because he was going crazy. On July 14 Thursday, he said
that the "gaffled him up" after going to his GED class. He has not received a
write up or anything stating what he did wrong. They just mentioned that he
will be charged with "inciting", apparently the teagher thinks that he is
responsible for the class not showing up on July 13. He also says that if they
look at the "sign-in" sheet for the past month they would see that the whole
class doesn't show up quite often in the meantime I am contacting his attorney,
so that he can go in there and see what is really going on I forgot to mention
that my husband is in a cell by himself he is not allowed any mail other that
outgoing mail and he is locked down 24hrs since 7/14 so it has been 48 hours.
If this isn't cruel and unusual punishment I don't know what is. These
privatized prisons are going to far, they forget that only GEO Group is
contracted with the Government, the employees aren't.”

Prisoner’s Rights: Right to Receive Mail While in Prison

"[A] prisoner's right to the free flow of incoming and outgoing mail is
protected by the First Amendment." Davis v. Goord, 320 F.3d 346, 351 (2d Cir.
2003). "[T]interference with prisoners’ mail ‘must be no greater than is
necessary or essential to the protection of the particular governmental
interest involved. Washington v. James, 782 F.2d 1134, 1139 (2d Cir.1986)
(quotation marks omitted). Prison mail regulations are valid only if they are