PLEASE PASS ON  OR POST .
LA INDYMEDIA FILM NIGHT

Breaking! We have just been informed that the filmmaker Erin McGinnis will be
joining us for a discussion after the screening.

When: Sunday, October 14, @ 7pm
Where: The Gateway Portal,  2511 S. Barrington Ave., Suite #100, West LA, CA.
90064

In the spirit of furthering understanding and communication
within and between our many communities LA Indymedia brings Film-Night back
with the film “Precious Knowledge”.

“Precious Knowledge” is an important documentary that
exposes the blatant racism that the State Superintendent of Education in
Arizona recently displayed in cutting out the successful ethnic-studies
program at Tucson High School.

The film follows the lives of four students and several
teachers as they fight to save their classes and the program that became an
educational lifeline for them.

The disenfranchised high school seniors became academic
warriors and community leaders in the face of losing a successful program that
has become a national model of success. In a climate where the national average
of Mexican-American drop-outs is 45 percent, 100 percent of the students
enrolled in the Tucson High ethnic studies classes
graduated from high school and 85 percent of them went on to
college.
The filmmakers spent an entire year in the classroom filming this innovative
social-justice curriculum, documenting the transformative impact on students
who become engaged, informed, and active in their communities.
This story is important to all of us; as Americans and as Angelinos. In our
city Ron Gochez, a high school social studies teacher and important activist,
currently running for city council, was recently fired for teaching
ethnic-studies courses in his South LA
classroom.
Come join LA Indymedia, in conjunction with the Gateway-Portal in West LA for
our screening of the film with a discussion
afterward.

Film Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ExJ2gly0m4:

We will pass the hat ...but of course everyone is welcome.