We Need an OCCUPY WASHINGTON D.C. Movement.

From: change-li...@yahoogroups.com [mailto:change-li...@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of Greg Dempsey
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:11 PM
To: greg dempsey
Subject: [change-links] *? 2 ALL: TWO YEARS AFTER OCCUPY WALL STREET, A NETWORK
OF OFFSHOOTS CONTINUE ACTIVISM FOR THE 99% - WHAT ARE YOUR COMMENTS?*

 occupy wall street
<http://images.latinpost.com/data/images/full/2495/occupy-wall-street.jpg?w=600>

(Photo : Flickr / PaulSteinJC)

Video and full transcript at  <http://tinyurl.com/kxk8j6f>
http://tinyurl.com/kxk8j6f

Hi Team!

*? 2 ALL:

TWO YEARS AFTER OCCUPY WALL STREET, A NETWORK OF OFFSHOOTS CONTINUE ACTIVISM
FOR THE 99% -

 Twins Jill Carty, left, and Nicole Carty
<http://www.bet.com/news/national/2011/10/25/one-family-two-sides-of-the-movement/_jcr_content/featuredMedia/newsitemimage.newsimage.dimg/102511-national-owes-twins.jpg>

(above): Twins Jill Carty, left, and Nicole Carty (Photo: Bryan Bedder/The
Daily)

Democracy Now reports:

Two years after the Occupy Wall Street movement shifted the conversation on
economic inequality, we look at its origins in New York City’s Zuccotti Park
and its continued legacy in a number of different groups active today.

We speak with Nicole Carty, actions coordinator with The Other 98 Percent, and
a facilitator of general assemblies and spokescouncil meetings during Occupy,
where she was a member of the Occupy People of Color Caucus.

  <http://uprisingradio.org/home/graphics/nathan_schneider.jpg>

(above): Nathan Schneider

Also joining us is Nathan Schneider, editor of the website Waging Nonviolence,
and a longtime chronicler of the Occupy movement for Harper’s Magazine, The
Nation, The New York Times, and The Catholic Worker.

Scheider’s new book, "Thank You Anarchy: Notes from the Occupy Apocalypse,"
chronicles Occupy’s first year. (continued below)

 The Other 98% - Politics for the Rest of Us
<http://cdn.other98.com/wp-content/themes/other98/images/other-98-logo-kicking-2.png?4c9b33>

Two years after Occupy Wall Street, a network of offshoots continue activism
for the 99% – what are your comments?

Greg Dempsey
 <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SECULARHUMANIST/>
Voice of the People

=====

Transcript

Democracy Now

 <http://www.democracynow.org/appearances/nathan_schneider> Nathan Schneider,
is editor of the website Waging Nonviolence and is a longtime chronicler of the
Occupy movement for Harper’s Magazine, The Nation, The New York Times, and The
Catholic Worker. His new book is "Thank You Anarchy: Notes from the Occupy
Apocalypse." His new article for The Nation is "Breaking Up With Occupy."

 <http://www.democracynow.org/appearances/nicole_carty> Nicole Carty, is an
Actions Coordinator with The Other 98 Percent. During Occupy Wall Street, she
was a facilitator at general assemblies and spokescouncil meetings, and she was
a member of the Occupy People of Color Caucus

JUAN GONZÁLEZ: We turn now to look at the Occupy Wall Street movement and its
legacy on its second anniversary. On September 17, 2011, thousands of people
marched on the financial district, then formed an encampment in Zuccotti Park,
launching a movement that shifted the conversation on economic inequality. Here
in New York activists marked the occasion Tuesday with a march to the New York
Stock Exchange and the United Nations highlighting a poll for taxing Wall
Street transactions and directing the funds to public causes.

AMY GOODMAN: For more, we are joined by two guests. Nicole Carty is an actions
coordinator with The Other 98%. During Occupy Wall Street she was a facilitator
at general assemblies and spokes counsel meetings and she was a member of the
Occupy People of Color Caucus. Nathan Schneider is also with us, editor of the
website “Waging Nonviolence,” author of the new book "Thank You Anarchy: Notes
From the Occupy Apocalypse." We welcome you both to Democracy Now!. Why “Occupy
Apocalypse,” Nathan?

NATHAN SCHNEIDER: That’s a great question. It’s a question I get a lot. The
word in Greek meant unveiling, right? It described a moment in which something
is revealed that changes our perception of everything and I think pretty
accurately describes what happened with Occupy Wall Street, both for us a
society in revealing the depth of income inequality, of the corruption of the
political system and also of the power of the militarized police state; but
also for so many individuals who took part across the country. I have been
privileged to meet so many people and to watch them as their lives were changed
by this movement, as they became activated and haven’t been able to go back to
the way their lives were before.

JUAN GONZÁLEZ: Nathan, you write in the beginning of the book, you say for
nearly two months in the fall of 2011 a square block of granite and honey
locust trees in New York’s Financial District, right between Wall Street and
the World Trade Center, became a canvas for the image of another world. Two
years later how has that canvas been preserved and what are some of the
activities that the Occupiers are now involved with?

NATHAN SCHNEIDER: Well, to talk about that canvas itself, it is interesting to
see the ways in which the movement is memorialized kind of informally in the
Financial District. There is still a wall of barricades around the Charging
Bull statue. There are still regularly barricades in Zuccotti Park. There are
still barricades around Chase Manhattan Plaza which was the original planned
sort of decoy site for the Occupation. It is amazing how the security state is
still living in fear of this movement. But at the same activists who were
involved in it, many of them are spread out across the country in all kinds of
networks that have formed through the course of this movement, putting their
bodies in the way of the Keystone Pipeline, calling attention to issues like a
financial transaction tax, bringing housing activists together around the
country to create a stronger movement. There are a number of campaigns that
have been profoundly strengthened by networks formed in the Occupy Movement.

Continued at  <http://tinyurl.com/kxk8j6f> http://tinyurl.com/kxk8j6f

No virus found in this message.