Kafka in Bagram
Posted by Eric Lewis
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2013/09/kafka-in-bagram.html

Amanatullah is my client. For more than nine years, he has been held without
charge by the United States military in a vast prison complex at Bagram Air
Force Base, in Afghanistan.  I have never met him.
Today,
September 17th, I will try to convince a federal appeals court that some
American court should review his case.  The problem is that the United
States government will not say why he was captured or what he is alleged to
have done—only that he is detained because he meets the “criteria
for detainability.” We also know that the government has cleared him for
release.  It just will not release him. The government will not say why he is
cleared for release or why he has not been released.  What it
will say is that a United States court has no jurisdiction to undertake
these inquiries.
Photo: Alixandra Fazzina.
What do we know about Amanatullah?  We know that he is a
Pakistani citizen,  a rice merchant, from a village outside Faisalabad.
In 2004, he went on a business trip to Iran (which imports rice from
Pakistan) and crossed into Iraq to visit Shia shrines.  We know that he
disappeared and was not heard from for ten months, when his family
learned that he had been detained by British forces in Iraq, handed over to
American troops, and then flown to Afghanistan and jailed at Bagram. We know
that he was registered originally under the wrong name,
suggesting that this may be a case of mistaken identity.  We know that,
for nine years, he has been prohibited from speaking to a lawyer and
permitted only a few telephone calls from his family. He has five
children who have not seen him for nine years.
Why was Amanatullah brought to Afghanistan?  Rendition of a prisoner
from his place of capture to a third country is a grave breach of the
Geneva Conventions, as is rendering someone to a war zone. Surely, there were
plenty of places to detain him in Iraq. And there was a well-worn
route for prisoners to be sent to Guantánamo Bay. Again, the government
will not say.
We have succeeded in obtaining affidavits from two top-level Bush-era
officials, the chief of staff to Secretary of State Colin Powell and a
senior C.I.A. official, both of whom have sworn that decisions as to
where to detain prisoners were frequently driven by policy judgments
about where they would have the fewest rights.  And Amanatullah was sent to
Bagram after the United States Supreme Court had decided in Rasul v. Bush that
detainees at Guantánamo Bay had the right to bring habeas
corpus proceedings in a United States court.  The effort to create a
complete legal black hole at Guantánamo had failed, and Bagram remained, in the
government’s view, a last, best chance for holding detainees
indefinitely without trial or judicial review.
Why won’t the government allow Amanatullah to have a habeas hearing?
Because he is in a war zone, the government argued—the one to which it
brought him.  Because it could interfere with the war effort and divert
military resources.  Because a court telling the military what to do
could diminish the prestige of the military in Afghanistan and bring aid and
comfort to the enemy.
By any rational analysis, these are slogans rather than arguments based
on facts. The military complex at Bagram is a huge fortress city, where
Afghan detainees are being tried every day under the supervision and
guidance of the U.S. military.  Amanatullah, however, is not an Afghan,
so he is maintained in a new, separately built facility for
third-country nationals.  If Amanatullah were given a habeas hearing, it would
not divert the war effort; one could argue that if there’s a
distraction, it’s his detention. Bagram is run not by combat units but
by a joint task force, whose job it is to run the prison and court
complex.  And a habeas hearing would focus on what Amanatullah allegedly did in
Iraq, information presumably known to the British troops in Iraq who detained
him and kept on a Pentagon system database.
Will the prestige of the military be diminished if a United States court
accords basic human rights and dignity to a rice merchant from
Pakistan? Will the freeing of an innocent man through the Great Writ
give aid and comfort to the enemy?  I would suggest that providing
Amanatullah with his day in a United States court, even at this late
date, would achieve just the opposite.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2013/09/kafka-in-bagram.html

Thanks to Thomas Barton of Military Resistance for this article.
thomasfbar...@earthlink.net

Romi