http://mideastshuffle.com/2013/10/01/cw-expert-opinion-on-the-un-report-on-syria/

by Sharmine Narwani

(
<http://mideastshuffle.com/2013/10/01/cw-expert-opinion-on-the-un-report-on-
syria/> Mideast Shuttle) , - While investigating the UN Report on chemical
weapons (CW) use in Ghouta, Syria, we sought a multitude of opinions from
experts and others who offered insightful observations. We published our
findings in an article entitled:
<http://nsnbc.me/2013/10/01/cw-expert-opinion-un-report-syria/Senior%20UN%20
Official;%20Syria%20Not%20Involved%20In%20Chemical%20Weapons%20Attack>

Questions Plague UN Report on Syria.

To learn more about Sarin and other nerve gases used in warfare, you would
be hard pressed to find any better hands-on experience than in Iran, a
country that suffered directly - and repeatedly - from
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_warfare#Iran.E2.80.93Iraq_War> Iraq's
use of CWs during the 1980-88 war between the two countries.

In Iran itself, there are few as qualified to speak about Sarin and other
nerve gases as Dr. Abbas Foroutan, whose 2004 articles were reviewed in
Neurology by Col. Jonathan Newmark of the Chemical Casualty Care Division,
US Army Medical Research Institute of Chemical Defense.

The reviewer refers to Dr. Foroutan's work as "the only firsthand clinical
descriptions of battlefield nerve agent casualties in the world literature"
and is viewed as a valuable contribution to the US and NATO understanding of
the treatment of casualties in chemical warfare:

"Foroutan's lessons learned reassure us that a robust medical evacuation
system, coupled with timely and appropriate medical care of nerve agent
poisoning, will save many more lives on future battlefields."

Upon our request, Dr. Foroutan reviewed the UN Report on Syria and provided
us with some critical insights, addressing the issues of environmental and
human sampling conducted by the UN investigators in Ghouta.

Based on his unique experience with casualties of nerve gas, Dr. Foroutan
pointed out stark symptom irregularities displayed by Ghouta patients:

1. Sarin gas does not cause inflammation in the eye. We have observed many
cases during Iraq's war against Iran and victims presented with only brief
and temporary redness in the eye. Here, 22% of cases still displayed
inflammation after 5-7 days.

2. Miosis [constricted pupils] has been observed in 14% of cases while
disorientation has been seen in 39% of the cases. This ratio is not logical.
It is obligatory that complete raw data charts of the patients be published
so that the correlation index between signs and symptoms of this case and
other cases be calculated.

3. Regarding the 19% convulsion report: the reports from the victims
themselves are not acceptable as they would have been unconscious at the
time of convulsion. Unless others report the convulsion in the victim, these
reports are otherwise unreliable.

4. The prescription of Atropine: this medicine is the most essential
antidote for Sarin exposures and if a large amount of it is taken quickly
and intravenously, it will save the patient . Rapid recovery of a severe
case with high dose of atropine suggest the patient was exposed to a
substance similar to nerve gas [sarin]. Unfortunately the information given
is very incomplete and it has not been noted how exactly the patients have
reacted to this cure.

5. Mentioning the vital signs like the pulse rate and blood pressure, which
because of sarin classically become slow and low and subsequently atropine
raises it up, is also an important diagnostic sign which unfortunately has
not been recorded in the patients documents. Another important sign is
auscultation of "wheezing" in the victims lungs, similar to the noise coming
from an asthmatic patient, has not been mentioned. This neglection is
abnormal.

6. Activity of an enzyme called "acetylcholinesterase" in the plasma and red
blood cells will [be] reduced immensely with nerve gases like sarin; and
will reactivate (re-synthesize) after weeks until it becomes normal. Sarin
is an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor substance. Experts across the world are
well informed of the importance of this lab data [reporting enzyme
activity]. During the holy defense (Iran/Iraq war) we would measure it in
the frontline emergency center as a routine diagnostic test. The importance
is that in moderate to severe cases, it decreases heavily without exception.
Why has this examination not been done?

7. The claim of the identification of sarin molecules a week later in the
biological samples needs an exact report of methodology of measurement for
other experts of the world because of the high chance of technical error.

8. Regarding the environmental samples: according to the pictures, a lot of
the places have been under the sunlight and due to the fact that sarin is
very volatile, the claim of sarin detection should be accompanied with more
description by the experts.

Overall in my view this report should be received/accepted medically with
great caution and should be observed again by a team of international expert
clinicians. My intention is not the denial of sarin but at least from the
clinical point of view, the evidences of this report are not enough to prove
the existence of a nerve gas [sarin] in this incident.

Dr. Foroutan also brought up a very important point about the UN's
assumption of Sarin in its testing, which can lead to false positives. In
<http://www.un.org/disarmament/content/slideshow/Secretary_General_Report_of
_CW_Investigation.pdf> Appendix 7 of the UN Report, a notable number of the
samples tested by two separate labs register different results:

"There is a possibility of a false positive recognition/diagnosis of sarin
and by-products caused by natural decomposition and impurities with the
primary gas.

An important point is that it seems the team has set up its experiment
methods according to the pre-assumption that sarin had been used.

That is why it should be requested that all of the experiment/lab
measurements should be published with the details of sample preparation and
analysis methods and also even the pictures and files of the curve from the
analysis devices.

During the imposed war (Iran/Iraq war) a case of poisoning of the Iranian
soldiers by Mycotoxins was reported by a credible lab in Belgium. They were
definitely found in the urine and plasma samples but later we were informed
that it was a false positive. In the UN study after the war it was proven
that Iraq had no activity regarding the production of mycotoxins."

I was informed that the above observations "were discussed in a medical
gathering at the Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences led by
Professor Abbas Foroutan."

While we were fortunate to reach Dr. Foroutan for his insights on the UN
Report, I am publishing this information now because he took the trouble of
writing it out and sending it to me via an academic colleague who translated
his comments in their entirety.

Source:
<http://mideastshuffle.com/2013/10/01/cw-expert-opinion-on-the-un-report-on-
syria/> MIDEAST SHUFFLE