7 Ways Plastic Replaced Perfectly Good Renewable Resources

Read more:
http://www.care2.com/causes/7-awesome-renewables-we-replaced-with-oil.html#ixzz2h9FfEXX5

We’ve become so addicted to oil, common wisdom tells us, because of the
many modern-day activities that require it. A few centuries ago, there
were no freeways, no airline services, no speed-boats, dirt bikes,
snowmobiles, or gas-powered lawnmowers. The world we now live in depends
on oil, and finding sustainable alternatives will take time.

But in fact, there are a whole slew of things we used to be able to
produce without any need of fossil fuels of any kind. Now that we’ve
switched out our old renewable sources, we’re dealing with a self-made
problem of trying to switch back to a way of doing things that we never
should have stopped in the first place.

1. Glass: Whatever did we do without plastic? Ask your grandmother. The
first synthetic plastic (Bakelite, created by a Belgian-American chemist
in 1909) proved important to specialty electronics manufacture in the
1920s, but it wasn’t until after the Second World War that the malleable
material, which had now become quite cheap to produce, started to take
over mass-produced consumer goods. The ubiquitous plastic bottles that are
now filling the ocean have only been around since the 1970s.

Retro glass bottles are making a minor comeback, but they’re still a bit
of a novelty for the under-40 crowd. We grew up with plastic, and plastic
is still cheaper than glass on paper. Obviously, the low price tag doesn’t
take into account the enormous environmental cost.

2. Natural fibres: Many of our synthetic fabrics are plastic-based, but
these only date back to about the 1950s. Obviously people weren’t walking
around naked prior to that, and indeed, renewable plant and animal sources
— everything from silk, cotton, linen, and leather — are still widely
used, despite their higher price tag. But most of us have plenty of oil in
our closets, as well.

3. Natural Fertilizer: Most raised animal manure not only serves as
highly-effective natural fertilizer, it’s one of those wonderful examples
of a waste product of one process serving as an ingredient for another
process. Of course, we didn’t invent this cycle, but simply borrowed it
from nature, wherein animals and plants together create a closed materials
cycle that is self-renewing.

The major active ingredients in fertilizer are nitrogen, potassium and
phosphorous. These can be produced synthetically, but the production
process is very energy-intensive, and since many of the regions that
produce artificial fertilizer are on a grid supplied by coal plants, we
are, in effect, burning fossil fuels for the sake of agricultural yield.

Of course, agriculture is one of our most ancient production processes as
a species and one which, traditionally, was entirely solar powered. (The
energy cost might be borne by diesel or other oil-based fuels, as well,
but coal is most typical.) The joke is, the tremendous excess of calories
in North America, mostly in corn, means that we end up force-feeding cows
or using the corn for bio-fuels just to use it up.

Read more:
http://www.care2.com/causes/7-awesome-renewables-we-replaced-with-oil.html#ixzz2h9Fv3c3m

4. Rubber: Rubber trees are indigenous to South America, but they started
to spread through the world via cultivars in the 1700s. Due to blockades
during the Second World War, a synthetic version, economically unimportant
up to that point, jumped from an annual production of 231 tons to 840, 000
tons in just four years! We never looked back. But just remember, the next
time you’re “burning rubber” in your sports car, you’re actually just
burning oil — doubly so.

5. Paper: In certain print applications, synthetic paper, either a
combination of wood pulp with a petroleum-derived resin or, more
frequently, petroleum-derived material with no wood pulp at all, has
surpassed traditional wood-derived paper. Paper is an ancient manufactured
material, having been invented in China more than 2,000 years ago. True
paper can be recycled, burned or allowed to decompose, its constituent
parts ultimately incorporated into future trees and new paper. But regions
with concerns about their availability of wood resources, including,
ironically, China’s daughter nation, Japan, have come to rely more and
more heavily on the petroleum paper instead.

6. Metal: Metal is not technically a renewable in the traditional sense,
and mining comes with its own host of problems, but compared to plastic,
metal lasts longer, is more easily recyclable and has fewer end-of-life
issues. Given a choice between aluminum drink containers and plastic, I
would pick aluminum every time. Given a choice between steel and plastic
building or manufacturing components, I would have to go with steel. We’ve
been smelting for thousands of years, and not until we started making
everything out of plastic did we start having building materials end up in
the food chain and ultimately our own bodies.

7. Wood: As a building or manufacturing material or as a fuel, wood has a
lot on on oil-derived plastics and coal or natural gas. If you plant at
least one tree for each one you cut, you’ll never run out.

In conclusion: It’s not news that oil is a convenient but poor long-term
energy choice. But we sometimes don’t realize just how ubiquitous it’s
become. The artificial cheapness of this very finite resource, even now,
resulted in our using it as a replacement for any number of superior
renewables. The system wasn’t broke, but we “fixed” it anyway.

Read more:
http://www.care2.com/causes/7-awesome-renewables-we-replaced-with-oil.html#ixzz2h9GnXlds
***********

Yeah, the system was fixed, fixed for a resource that could be
monopolized, necessities of life tied to it, scarcities created, and then
charge many many times over what use to be charged without the cost of
production increasing, it's just good business! Especially since the US
Military uses 40% of the worlds supply of it, a permanent profit machine!

Well, it's been a few years since we've had wars over Oak Forests to build
more Men of War, to steal more resources, but hell, the wind power for
them was cheap.

But if your into, I want it and I want it now, I do not want to have to
plan, and out of sight out of mind means someone else has to deal with the
mess, then Oil is what you should be going to war to ensure is the only
available energy and building and manufacturing choice.

Besides... planting trees means they'll adsorb CO 2 (Trees are mostly
carbon dioxide) and what would that do to your contribution to global
warming? You'd lose your oily pin!

Scott