So my 35 pound Labradoodle Harry is about 18 months old.  He's a
legitimate multigen australian labradoodle and his coat gets matted at
the base by the skin.  We brush him frequently and use fine-tooth
combs to keep clumps from forming, but the tangling near the skin is
impossible to prevent.  My question is whether it is okay to let his
hair grow long for the winter as this type of matting doesn't seem to
bother him at all.  He doesn't scratch or seem irritated by it, but
some groomers will only treat him if they can shave him down.  Some
groomers have even told us that we should shave him every 4-6 weeks
max.  This is crazy.  I just want him to get a bath and
sanitary/facial clip, there is no need to shave him like that.  He
hates it, the groomer hates it, it takes all day, and he won't go out
in the snow, even with a sweater.  It just doesn't make sense.

Is it bad if I take him to a groomer who will just sanitary and facial
clips and wash him?  Or is it really necessary to shave him frequently...

~George

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional