On Jun 6, 2004, at 7:50, Thurlow Weed wrote:

Thanks to the many of you who responded to my mystification with regard to
"dsps." I now know that this is a "dessert spoon" and that it is roughly two
teaspoons, half a tablespoon.

Two thirds of a tablespoon, as it's 3 tsps to a TBS. If it were as simple as half, it wouldn't require a separate term, since most spoon sets have a half (and quarter and eight -- the last in tsp range only, I think). Stick to the tsps, and figure on 4 of them (didn't you say it was 2 dsp?)

Now I can make the sweet shortcrust pastry dough I need for the tarts,

Se, er... Do we get a collective prize in the form of the recipe for the tarts? Not that we grow any strawberries in our garden, but the stores, occasionally, have the "buy one, get one free" deal...

finally "planted" a dish of beer amidst the strawberries yesterday -- I'm told
this will help greatly in keeping the slugs away from MY strawberries.

Should; they do love their beer :)

As a young-teen, my son used to supplement his babysitting income with collecting aluminium cans for recycling and never went anywhere without a plastic bag in his pocket. Long dog-walks in the woods along the creek always produced a full bag. And, while the soda cans were just dirty, the beer ones were always full of dead slugs (alcohol's bad for you, if you're a slug <g>)...

I was much happier when, after a year of bringing that crud home (you need a *big* bag of crushed cans to make the trip to the Reynolds truck worth the gas), he went around all the fraternities and sealed a deal with them: they'd call him when they were planning a party, and he'd show up next morning with a big bag, and collect all the cans from the lawns and from the premises. Much cleaner and faster :) Of course, he was then no longer interested in walking the dog... :(

---
Tamara P Duvall             http://lorien.emufarm.org/~tpd
              Healthy US through The No-CARB Diet:
    no C-heney, no A-shcroft, no R-umsfeld, no B-ush.