As Helen Bell has already mentioned, there is the recipe in the Jones & Deer
book which I prefer to use. Last year I made cookies instead of cakes.

So I'll post my cookie recipe as a variant to their recipe.

CATTERN COOKIES

Combine in a large bowl 1.25 cups of plain flour with 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon,
1/4 cup of ground almonds, 1 cup of sugar, 2 teaspoons of caraway seeds.
( One ounce of currants is optional, depending on if you like them or not.)

Add to mixture 1/2 cup (100g) of melted butter & 1 medium-sized egg & mix all
together. Then I just formed the dough into a long sausage shape, about 2" in
diameter, wrapped it in plastic wrap & stored the log in the freezer for an hour.

Preheat oven to 400F / 200C & then after removing plastic wrap, slice the log
into thin slices ( about 1/4 inch wide) and lay them on a cookie (or biscuit) tray
and bake for 10 minutes until slightly brown. I might have even baked them for
5 minutes on the other side. They are really nice dunked in tea or coffee.

If anyone else makes them let me know how the cookies turn out.

Penelope Piip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> City of Tartu, Estonia