DH has given me the recipe he wants to make. He didn't mention that it also needs concentrated apple juice, which is something else we can no longer get. It's from "The I can't believe this has no sugar" cookbook - we're both diabetic - by Deborah E. Buhr. Now I've seen the book, there is actually instructions for making fruit juice concentrate, which just means reducing 4 cups of fruit juice by heating to 1 cup. I find that surprising because, as I said previously, I would have thought that heating would alter the flavour. Anyway here's the recipe.

Pineapple-orange Delight Crumb Cake

Topping:
1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons unsweetened orange juice concentrate (Minute Maid Reduced Acid)
1 teaspoon water
1/4 cup chopped pecans

Cake:
3/4 cup unsweetened diced pineapple tidbits, drained
2 1/2 teaspoons grated orange rind (depending on taste, use additional 1/8 teaspoon)
6 egg whites or 3 extralarge eggs
1/3 cup plus 1 1/4 teaspoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened orange juice concentrate (Minute Maid Reduced Acid)
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons unsweetened apple juice (any brand)
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13 by 9 x 2 inch baking pan. 2. To make topping: In a medium sized bowl, combine coconut with oil, concentrate, water and nuts. Stir and set aside. 3. To make batter: Dice pineapple and measure out 3/4 cup. Place pineapple in a hand strainer and press lightly with a spoon to reduce moisture content. Set aside. Grate orange rind and set aside. 4. In a large bowl, combine eggs, oil and concentrates. Beat for 1 minute using a hand operated mechanical beater. Stir in pineapple and grated orange rind. Add flour, a little at a time, stirring, and then beat well by hand for at least 2 minutes. Stir in baking soda quickly, and the mix (28 to 30 beats); immediately pour mixture into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle coconut topping by hand over the top of the cake batter. 5. Bake 28-30 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean. 6. Remove pan from oven and place on a wire rack until cake is completely cooled. To store, cover cooled cake with plastic wrap or in an airtight container and store on countertop or freeze.

Approx. 15 servings.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK