Yesterday I managed to spend some time at the Poole Bobbin lace day.  This
time I asked the sensible question about whether there were any members of
Arachne present and got to speak to Jean and Eve and have one or two others
pointed out to me, so good to meet face to face and laugh because the face
didn't match my expectations from email, just like the phone, LOL.  We also
enjoyed watching others working at their pillows and chatting with them about
their lace and their different pillows.  .

Some of the suppliers I hoped to see weren't there but I still managed to
spend plenty;-) and come home with a bag of goodies.   I managed to replace my
pin hook which the chair or vacum cleaner stole and I bought a book (which I
have already printed out at least one 'I must do' pattern) during the early
evening, :-)  there are several more I want to try.
It was lovely to be able to choose some coloured thread by eye instead of
guess work, but of course I now have a longer list of lace projects on my to
do list.  Lots of lovely patterns, not enough hours in a day to keep up,
<grin>.

What colour card or paper pricking do various people, including David, use
when working with black thread?  I want to try my hand at a small piece of
bucks style lace in black rather than my usual white or ecru.  Obviously
choosing the right colour first might mean the difference between success and
failure.   I do use a good lamp when I work, but I guess black lines on white
paper might not be the best choice!

The competition entries were wonderful and it was very hard to choose between
them.  I went with my first instinct on the one I would like to take home, but
had a lot of trouble choosing which for best technical.  there were all lovely
pieces and a huge inspiration.   One entry was a lovely quilt with animals of
every shape and size all over it and I kept seeing more and more the longer I
looked.  What an enormous project that was and I would love to have seen that
hanging on the wall for the very best view.    But I have to say they were all
lovely items and beautifully made and presented.
I would love to know where the pattern can be found for that hanging bird
piece? that was lovely and just made me smile.
Unfortunately we had to leave before the competition entries were announced,
so I will look on the website to see the results when they go on.

Sue T
Dorset UK
www.hurwitzend.co.uk