Tamara wrote:
<And the current entry is not likely to be much
shorter, what with 3 diagrams and 10 *different* braids <g>).
Alternatively, a limit can be set on how long the instructions *can*
be...>

I agree with Tamara that if you are entering the "original" category you
are expected to provide a pricking and working notes but how much
constitutes "working notes"?  We all know how wordy Tamara can be <g>, I
prefer to write as little as possible.  Most of my entries constitute
maximum number of bobbins, type of thread, order of work and if
necessary, anything unusual I may have done for that particular
design.   I hope I will not be penalised because I only mention the type
of braid used and do not diagram it as well.

There was an article in the Bulletin on what a judge is looking for,
can't remember the issue as I don't have them close by.  I had asked in
the past that we designers have some sort of guideline as to what is
expected, but I would also like some feedback after the competition on
why a particular piece did not win.  Was it technique difficulties?  I
know in my first competition piece, which did not even place, I had done
a fairy and to make the wings look like uneven scales I had made up my
own stitches.  I was happy with the effect but maybe the judges looked
at it and said "what was she thinking?"  I would have liked to know if
that was why it did not place and it would deter me from doing something
different in the future and keep those oddball ideas for publishing in a
magazine.

I know I was unsure of subscribing to Lace magazine in my early days of
lace making as I saw that many of the patterns only included a pricking
and maybe a finished picture of the lace and I felt that was unfair for
new lacemakers.  Since then I have learnt more techniques and I am
happier with bare bones instructions even if it might take me a while to
figure out how the threads work together, and I am so thankful I joined
Lace as I love the articles and patterns that appear in it.  It has
opened my eyes to different ideas.

The current bucks piece on my pillow has each corner worked with a
different approach as I can't remember what I did last time.  This is
after blowing up the diagram to huge proportions but it still does not
show every time where a bobbins is added or dropped.

Regards airline luggage, it is 40 lbs for one bag, 70 lbs for one
overseas bag and you are allowed two checked bags and one carryone.  You
cannot put 80 lbs in one bag and argue that that is the same as two 40
lbs.  They want to deter you from packing bags too heavy for the
handlers to manage.  But they still have to handle the heavy bag if you
pay the excess charge.  DH just got back from Germany and said that one
family had a bag weighing over 100 lbs and the checking in clerk sent
them away with a plastic bag to put some items into to bring the
suitcase down to 70 lbs.  Wonder if the plastic bag made the journey on
the carousel, our new suitcase didn't even though it was a hardshell.
They managed to bend the frame one one trip and this time wore a wheel
down so now it clonks along!!  Plus you are not supposed to lock your
cases now because of security but that does not deter items from
disappearing from the cases along the route!!
Janice

--
Janice Blair
Crystal Lake, 50 miles northwest of Chicago, Illinois, USA