On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:08:46 -0400, Marcie wrote:
>I remember the discussion too, but I can't remember what was said. What
>we need to know is when the pricking was first made and if it is early
>enough, that is sufficient. Otherwise we need to know when Miss Channer
>died. Before a certain date (around about 1900, I think), the point at
>which the original was created is used, after that date the death of the
>author is used as the starting point for counting the years till it is
>in the public domain. Miss Channer's relatives probably hold the
>copyright to her pricking and any attending materials she herself made
>and Ruth Bean may only have a copyright on their printed form of the
>material (it would be interesting to find out if they were even the
>original printers of the book.)

Miss Channer was British, she did the design in Britain and Ruth Bean is
also in Britain, so the relevant copyright law is British law.  To be out of
copyright in Britain the author has to have been dead for over 70 years i.e.
to have died by 1933.  I have a vague recollection that Miss Channer has
been discussed here before, and that she was alive a lot later than that.
So the copyright would still be current.  From whom and how the copyright
ended up with Ruth Bean makes no difference to whether the copyright still
exists.

In Britain, so far as I know the rules about date of creation of the
original are only relevant for something published by a company, or
something published without an author's name attached to it.  Neither of
those would apply in this case.
--
Love is the most subtle form of self-interest. - Holbrook Jackson
Steph Peters, Manchester, England