Ok, here are my reasons -

1) pricking as you go damages your pillow as you have to use more force
to go through the card and my cork board is cheaper and more replaceable
than my pillows

2) When you work unusual patterns such as ovals on a block pillow, if
you don't have all the pattern how on earth can you work out how to
place it on the pillow

3) I've been making a very large piece that is symetrical and therefore,
by pricking through two lots of card I pricked the whole thing out in
half the time

4) when working a long straight piece or a square, you can to the same
as #3 by pricking the two halves in one go.

Look, if you don't like pricking then photocopy, stick and film but
don't get up set then if the finished piece doesn't quite have the sharp
edges that those who prick first get as it is not easy to accurately put
in the pins that way

And - if like me and Tamara you don't like winding the bobbins get a
bobbin winder

Here's a story - the last time I was teaching lace the woman I was
teaching pulled a face and said that she didn't like spangling.  So,
trying to encourage her and because I had some time spare I offered to
spangle some of the bobbins so that she had enough to start making lace
and had some to copy when she spangled them herself.

Then she said that she found pricking the patterns hard on her hands -
I've taught people with arthritus before and can sympathise - so I let
he use one of my patterns that was already pricked out

Then she said that she couldn't work the bobbin winder she had bought,
so I wound some bobbins on it to show her how, but she kept having
problems with it and in the end, when I'd finished demonstrating how to
use it I'd wound them all

Then she said that she couldn't follow me starting it off so could I
have a go ...

I looked at her and said, 'so exactly which thiing about making lace was
it that you actually wanted to do?'

She replied 'ah, there's two things, sitting at the reenactment with my
pillow so people can see how clever I am and wearing it'

I managed to say, straight faced, 'were you actually intending to make
any then?'

That was the last lesson that I gave her as she felt I wasn't supportive
enough (I thought it wasn't because I wouldn't make the lace for her)
and I understand that she got her boyfriend's mum to teach her the
basics and she swans around the reenactments with the same piece of lace
that she started with.

The only thing that really hurt was that I had given her 4 metres of
handmade lace as a thank you and it was being passed off as her own work.

Moral of the story - we all have bits of the process we hate - me it's
mounting the stuff, and we moan about them but we still love doing the
craft but if you hate doing it as much as this woman did go find
something else to do.

Have fun

Liz

Tamara P. Duvall wrote:

 > On Jan 2, 2004, at 13:10, Antje González wrote:
 >
 > > Why do you prick the whole pattern all at once? I start pricking a few
 > > centimeters, then I work until the pricked holes are finished, prick
 > > again a
 > > few centimeters, continue working... This makes the whole process more
 > > relaxing.
 >
 > I've often been tempted to do it the same way; pricking and winding
 > bobbins are *not* on my list of "favourite activities related to
 > lacemaking", so it would be nice to "thin it out" and fit in some of
 > the favourite bits (like moving bobbins) in-between the less favourite
 > ones.

<snipped>