Just loved your story, Liz.

One of my best is when we were demonstrating lacemaking at an exhibition, one
lady hovered for ages, then asked if lace bobbins were sold in John Lewis (a
well known English department store).  We said it was possible, but not
likely, and offered her lace supply and teacher's addresses.

"Oh, no, it's all right." came the reply "I'm sure they must do.  I'll go and
buy A PAIR and teach myself."

A tad confused with knitting maybe but I have idled away many pleasant
minutes since, wondering how she got on!

Jacquie