Hi all,

Just adding my 2 cents worth, as I've been following the "ping pong" on
pre pricking or not to pre prick, and I have to admit to being one of
the lazy lacemakers, who pricks as I go.

However,  I did learn my lacemaking in a very traditional way from Mum,
and was taught to copy to tracing paper, then prick, then draw in the
lines - all quite a pointless process when one is  12 or 13 and anxious
to get on with it, but I now see the point (yes, Mum, you did teach me
well!).

I make primarily beds lace, and sometimes the simple act of pre-pricking
a section (if it's large or repetitive) at the start can help me sort
out my strategy for making the piece.  I usually have an extra photocopy
of the pattern and my trusty notebook and pen at hand, to make notes and
work out directions, but sometimes that isn't quite enough (like the
mongrel piece I have on the pillow at the moment - I wished I'd
prepricked a bit before I launched myself into this project.  Looks
simple, but it's more challenging than expected).

I have just gotten my 5 1/2 year old daughter started, and have
prepricked and marked her pattern for her, but in a year or so, I will
expect her to learn to do that for herself.

Sometimes it's just important to learn the not so exciting part of
something, to understand and appreciate the more exciting parts.  I
think pricking patterns is one of those things.  It teaches you at first
how it all comes together, and later can become part of the 'strategic'
process.

Hope you all had a great holidays and new year.

Cheers,
Helen, Aussie in Denver, emerging into the lacey sunlight for a bit!