Clay wrote:

> Avital, I didn't mean to imply that you weren't doing your
> job as moderator...  Just as you said, the people involved

I didn't take it that way. I was just pointing out why I tend not to get
involved unless things start to get really ugly or someone specifically
requests that I step in. I start from the assumption that we are all adults,
more or less, and can usually work things out without outside intervention.
(BTW, I changed the subject heading so that people would understand why a
"chat" kind of message is on Lace.)

> were stung by the comments, and two people with whom I have
> a cordial relationship have expressed their feelings to me.
> I want to make the point that they are contributing members
> of Arachne, and if they do, in fact, leave the list, we will
> all be poorer as a consequence.

Posting on a public list means that sometimes one receives brick bats
instead of accolades. It's a fact of life, except in moderated lists that
are strictly on-topic (the magnetic nuclear resonance technicians' list
comes to mind) and if one posts regularly, one will occasionally bear the
brunt of an attack. Choosing to stay or leave is a personal decision. If
someone's psyche is so fragile that they can't bear negative comments, yet
they *must* post, then a fully moderated list would be a more appropriate
environment than a "semi-moderated" (i.e., posts appear without my approving
them first) list like Arachne.

> Some time back, (it's been years now...) a friend of mine
> took offense on a fairly regular basis to things one
> particular member wrote.  Her solution was to block email
> from this member, and now she doesn't have to see it

Hey, I'm a big fan of "twit files" (sounds so much nicer than a "kill
file")! <g> Obviously, I don't have filters on any of the lists I moderate,
but I do use them for other lists. I highly recommend setting up filters to
stream certain subscribers to the trash. It's easy and makes life much more
pleasant. (If anyone needs help setting one up, e-mail me privately and I'll
try to talk you through the process.)

Avital