Bev wrote in her reply about Torchon:
<Just thought I'd mention - I didn't start learning lace with 'Torchon'  - I learned
Cluny leaves and plaits first.>

What a good way to start!!  Most of my friends are intimidated by Cluny leaves and put
off making patterns that might include some.  Now learning them at the beginning when
you know nothing else about bobbin lace might be just the thing to get over that fear.
 I know when I saw a piece with perfect leaves before I knew much about the subject I
was in awe and thought I could never achieve that perfection.

One of my earlier projects after learning some Torchon was a Russian collar in the
Bridget Cook Russian book which had tons of leaves.  Lots of experience even if some
of them are of the holly variety.  My inexperience showed then because I did not
realise that the pattern needed to be enlarged so my thread turned out to be a bit
thicker than intended.  Wouldn't it be a good idea if patterns included the actual
size that a pricking is supposed to be, not a percentage that leaves though of us who
are mathematically challenged a puzzled look on our faces and no idea of what size the
lace should turn out.

Janice Blair
In Crystal Lake where it is sunny but very, very cold.