Hi Spiders,

The discussion about embroidery floss and its suitability for lace is very timely for
me.  I am working a pattern from the Swedish Lace Organization in 40/3 linen.  I have
worked and re-worked certain sections multiple times (I blush to say how many) and the
linen wears like iron.  I usually work with much finer threads or wire, all of which
break at least a few times before I finish a piece.  I don't think I could blast the
40/3 linen apart with a grenade.

On the other hand, I have attempted Milanese with 100/2 cotton and the thread just
sighed and separated.   I think my sewing skills were not what they should be when I
did it because almost all the breaks were at sewings.

So I interpret the warnings about embroidery floss for lacemaking as an advisory that
it *could* break more often than I would like.  Another aspect of using the floss is
the skill of the lacemaker in separating the strands.  Tangles could produce weak
spots even if you only pry them apart with your fingers.

So mileage will vary, pretty much like most things.

Patty Dowden