The question is how does shellac effect the textile over a
period of time? Each basket is preserved (to some degree) by a coating of
shellac.

Hi Dianna:

I can't quite tell from your posting if you are coating the tatting with shellac, or if you are coating only the baskets with shellac and then adding the tatting to the baskets.

I think shellac is probably a little acidic, since it is made from scale insect secretions, and things animals produce do tend to be acidic. But, shellac gives a hard surface that doesn't break down easily, so it should not easily affect tatting that touches it. If the tatting isn't shellacked itself, I wouldn't worry about it any more than I'd worry about tatting touching a varnished table (traditional varnish is made with shellac).

I don't think I'd shellac the tatting, though. You may not see it on your baskets, but even so-called "clear" shellac gives an amber cast to what it covers.

Hope this helps.

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)