On 15 Jun 2004, at 09:18, Bridget Marrow wrote:

Dear Spiders

I've just got my requirements list for the workshop I'm doing in Prague before the OIDFA Congress. The thread they've asked for is Linen 33/4. I've never come across this, and it doesn't seem to be in Brenda's "Threads for Lace" book. If any of you have worked with it, can you tell me what it is like and whether there is an easily obtainable substitute?

Hmmm

My first thought, on seeing that it's a 4 ply was that it's the thicker of the two sizes of linen thread sold by Jana Novak / Moravia, which Jana imports unbranded from Czech Republic, but I've just looked it up and that one is 50/4. I believe that there are quite a lot of unbranded items available in Czech Rep. - a legacy from the communist days when the state brand was the only one deemed necessary.

Theoretically; a 33/4 should be about the same thickness as a 16/2 or 25/3, but 'rounder' and less apt to flatten in the lacemaking or winding processes, and I'd expect it to measure at around 15 wraps/cm - which is pretty thick, but would be suitable for a heavy braid lace. Do you have the pricking yet?

Brenda
http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/paternoster/