Dear Lace History Buffs,

To understand why lace might be used on European wedding aprons, it is
interesting to study the attire of women on that continent for centuries - going
back 20,000 years or so.  First, there were the string skirts - not skirts as we
know them, but panels of string (tiny, and shaped like aprons) that were tied
around the woman so they covered the center part of her backside.  Makes no
sense to us that they would cover the back and not the front, but that is
apparently what they did.  (In time, more materials were used to cover more of her.)
  These string "skirts" can be seen on small carved figures of women in
museum collections.

It is difficult to summarize the evolution of these garments into wedding
aprons, but I will briefly attempt to give you an impression of what appears to
have happened through the centuries.

Skip quite a few thousand years to the beginning of weaving, and the
archeologists claim that flat (ungathered) aprons were worn - covering the backside
(implying a connection to the string "skirt").  There was a connection to
fertility, and an apron ceremony when a teenaged girl contemplated marriage.  During
a female's fertile years, she wore this garment.

In time, women wore aprons also in the front - to protect organs that were
connected with fertility.  By then, they were weaving patterns that had symbolic
meanings, adding fringes and tassels and other objects to deflect the evil
eye.  In more time,  embroidery was added.  Every element of that embroidery had
a symbolic meaning.

More centuries, and lace developed.  At first, not allowed for any women but
the most royal personages.  Eventually, it was added by many people to
ceremonial clothing - used for christenings, weddings, etc.  If you look at the
design elements in laces of Eastern Europe, you can "connect" them to the
embroidered design elements.

These fascinating and talented people, with centuries of historic influence
behind them, still wear the costumes of their regions, and can tell by looking
at a woman in costume exactly where she is from.  In many cases, the meanings
of various costume parts are not known by contemporary women - they are simply
attributed to "tradition".  An important piece of attire is still the wedding
apron.

So - the apron is not first thought of in the same way as Western women have
for many years - as an inexpensive garment to protect a more expensive and
more difficult-to-clean one.

Back in May 2003, I recommended, and still do:  "Folk Dress in Europe and
Anatolia - Beliefs about Protection and Fertility" edited by Linda Welters,
published by Berg Oxford/New York, ISBN 1-85973-287-0 (paper) 1999, cost $20 U.S.
The textbook style may be too serious for your current research, but I think
it is nice to have books written by fine scholars.

Copies of 4 chapters in this book are winging their way to Devon for her
research on this subject, because I think that she will have a lot of lace lore to
add to the Wedding Apron research.

The Lace Fairy has just arrived for a visit.  Must go and have some fun with
her.  We think we'll fly around the orchard and admire the wildflowers!

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center