Jean wrote:
Hi Evelynn,
I think that DMC Retors d'Alsace 60/2 is no longer made, so you will
need a substituate unless you can find some old stock. In Brenda's book
'Threads for Lace' it is given as 46 wraps per cm. The nearest Egyptian
cotton will be the 70/2. Cotton always works up  much softer than linen
but there are no linens as fine as this being made any more. I know
that in one of their book samples Bridget and Geraldine did use a
cotton called Unity 150 which was a white machine thread which makes
beautiful crisp lace. Again that is no longer available but Jennifer
and John Ford of the UK have an equivalent, Dragonfly 140.
Jean in Cleveland U.K.>

I used the Dragonfly 140 on my second buckspoint hankie and I was so disappointed when
I took the lace off the pillow.  It felt harsh instead of soft.  It seemed to me to
feel more like a polyester.  I don't know what Dragonfly is composed of and I used it
as it was recommended as a susbtitute for working the patterns in the book, but I have
never used it since.  Pity the poor bride using that edging and getting a "paper" cut
on her nose. :-)  Actually the bride got divorced 3 years later, wonder whatever
happened to her and the hankie?
Janice

Janice Blair
Crystal Lake, 50 miles northwest of Chicago, Illinois, USA