Since the list is quiet, perhaps I could introduce a subject that has me
intriqued. The other day I saw a textile at the MMA which looks just like
needlelace, being made of detached buttonhole stitch, but dates from the Yuan
dynasty(1279-1368). I know that looping stiches have been made in the past. I
have
even seen some looped net bags in the American Southwest, but this piece so
resembles Italian Needlelace, especially in its diamond shaped geometrical
patterns that it is really quite stunning. To see the piece go to
_http://www.metmuseum.org/Works_Of_Art/viewOne.asp?dep=20&viewmode=0&item=1987.277_

(http://www.metmuseum.org/Works_Of_Art/viewOne.asp?dep=20&viewmode=0&item=1987.277)

You can enlarge with a zoom, which helps.
I had earlier seen on the wall at the Cooper-Hewitt in the non-public  areas,
a huge enlarged poster of what appeared to be similar Chinese Needlelace
depicting a figure. Recently I asked about it and was told that it was actually

a small patch on a spectacular Chinese robe, dating, I believe to about the
same  period.
In both cases the needlelace is set against a gold leaf background for
ultimate glow effect.

Co-incidence? Clue to origin? Thoughts anyone?

Devon