[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> To get the effect of the filling tucked behind the rib, you would have to
> sew into the pinhole threads through the back of the rib where the
> non-pinhole side faces the filling - best to avoid this and switch the
> pinhole side when constructing the rib, I should think - unless that would
> affect the overall appearance of the rib vis-a-vis the lace.

The turning stitch side of the rib goes on the inside of the curve regardless
of which side any sewings may need to come from.  It is very difficult to get
the rib to lie flat if it is worked on the outside of the curve (it folds up
against the pins) and you need to do backstitches to try to put extra length
on the tape/ turning stitch side; even with these (which in themselves make it
hard to keep the tape even) it is hard to get it to stay flat.  If the curve
of the rib changes it is usual to change the pinhole side.

If you are working next to the tape side of the rib, the work will lie over
the top of the tape.  If you are doing cloth or half stitch as distinct from
fillings, you need enough pairs to fill the work right to where you are doing
the sewings, ie it should be covering/concealing the rib.

The sewings are all done into the pinhole bars as top sewings and are no
harder to do from the tape side than from the pinhole side - in fact, when done
from the tape side they tend to keep the pin holes open better because they are
pulling the tape away from the pins slightly.

Sewings are not done into the non-pinhole side, simply because there's
nothing to sew into except by pushing through the solid cloth stitch.

Jacquie