Hi Lynn,
We all probably have pieces that look similar to yours.  When you are starting
a piece of sample lace, there are probably two pairs of bobbins hanging over
the pin at each pinhole, unless they are passives (ones that just hang down and
are worked through).  What you must remember to do is hang them on rainbow
style over the pin and then give the two bobbins on, say the left side of the
pin, at least one twist.  This will tie them together.  If you are making
something that will eventually meet up with your beginning you should do more
twists which will keep the pinhole open more to make it easier to sew your
ending threads into the hole.

Regards winding bobbins into pairs.  I have always wound the first yard or
whatever measurement I am using onto one bobbin, then pulled off the next yard
ot whatever from the spool, cutting it, and started winding up from the cut end
onto another bobbin.  I have never seen the point of winding it all onto one
bobbin and then back again.  Just my preference but I have other things to do
that rewind the same thread twice, such as making the lace!  I even heard one
teacher telling her student to wind off two yards from the spool, cut it, find
the middle and mark it with a small clothespin, then wind up each end onto the
bobbins.  Now that is a tangle waiting to happen, especially when winding yards
and yards of thread!!

Also if you are gentle on your tensioning at the sewing side (footside) of the
lace it will tend to curve less when you take it off the pillow.

Good luck with more samples and happy lacing,
Janice

Janice Blair
Crystal Lake, 50 miles northwest of Chicago, Illinois, USA