Hello Robin and all other lacefriends,
It's my understanding that copying pages for use in a class was covered
under the "fair use" clause of copyright.  In other words, it would not
be a violation of copyright to use patterns from published books.  Of
course, that may vary in other countries.
It is not so really clear and because for some of us happened that they found their own designs with another name some people are meanwhile a bit critical. Some years ago a lawyer told me if the name of the origin person and the source is written on the sheet and if you don't asked for more than the price of the copy (in our country not so much private copier exist, we go to the copy-shop) it is allowed. But some book-writer don't like this. It is a difficult thing.
And I know that the DKV try to find an answer for this problem.
Greetings

Ilske